Lee
Ann Antuna unedited transcript
BJ
[INTERVIEWER Bob Joe]
Now, I know you worked directly under the Dade City
Center for the Arts Event Director? What does his title entail and how did you
assist him?
LA
[Lee Ann Antuna]
Dade City Center for the Arts controls all of the
art related functions within the Dade City area, mostly downtown. The Event
Director oversees all of it. He does it all honestly. He writes press releases,
create events, networks with up and coming artists, hosts events, etc. I would
say I helped him by being a mini Event Director. I did everything he did but on
a smaller scale.
BJ:
Aren’t internships only supposed to consist of
getting coffee and running errands? [LAUGHS]
LA
[Lee Ann Antuna]:
I thought the same thing![LAUGHS] But, I was in for
an awakening. I was literally put into an event managing position. I created
two of my own events, I wrote for local newspapers and I even worked with
graphic design in creating my own flyers.
BJ:
Created your own events? Can you tell me about that?
LA
[Lee Ann Antuna]:
I created an event that allowed Saint Leo University
students to showcase their talents. Whether it be their own band, art work or
spoken word. The event took place within the Downtown art gallery in Dade City.
It was called “SLU: Showcase your Art. My second event was a Christmas Edition
of the event, it was cute.
BJ:
You started from scratch? Where did you begin?
LA
[Lee Ann Antuna]:
I began with an idea. I wanted to create an event
that brought students together in a different way. Students usually get
together for sports events or partying. This is different. Then I made social
networks so I could get the event’s name out there. I wrote press releases that
were featured in local newspapers. And, I made flyers to find talent at SLU. The
hard part was finding talent. Luckily, many students wanted to showcase their
hidden gifts. We had one band, four spoken word artists; we had painters and
one photographer.
BJ:
What advice would you give to someone wanting to get
into event planning?
LA
[Lee Ann Antuna]:
It’s hard work. I would say really educate yourself
on the position before that becomes your number one career choice. It is also
very stressful. It was rewarding but I am not sure if it’s the number one
career choice for me. So, I would say get an internship in event planning and
take classes! Make sure it’s what you want. If it is what you want, remember to
always be creative and make a lot of friends. Creativity is what draws people
into events. But, without networking you won’t get too far.
No comments:
Post a Comment